Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Thoughts from SLAM Social Project

I'm getting better...YES!
Full day classes. Started with an extremely sleepy mood. Again got some freebies from the promotion period of Nominated CabinetS of Accounting Society, thankfully they even gave out coffee! 

Was doing a lot of preparation for the SMU APEX Global Case Challenge dummy case and finally today's the day to present to our coach, Prof Michael. Havta admit that I didn't spend too much time rehearsing my part, which is well of course not so good. But, well, we got some really constructive comments and feedback from him by the end of the presentation. Yeah, we've moved a big step forward towards handling the challenge!

Had SLAM meeting after that. Ahh....spent around 2.5 hours discussing about social projects as well as our upcoming gathering. Seems that we have a lot to plan before implementation. As we were discussing about some key issues of the Sham Shui Po community for the project, I was thinking that there is so little that we could do to create an impact, as most of them are related to how the society works at large. A friend pointed out that some of them in poverty have been in a vicious cycle of despair, and we should give them hope and perhaps they wouldn't give up trying to get out of poverty....but, how much will that motivate these people? I'm not questioning the idea itself, but instead I'm just not confident that poverty issues could be tackled in anyway in Hong Kong if the society and perhaps regulations still remain the same way as it is.
And this led to another thought of mine. Does freedom of speech means democracy? I'm starting to doubt and question this statement. Will the authorities listen to "your speech"? Ah....
Momina's my mentee for the SLAM project, sweet :)

And so I only cooked dinner at 10.30pm. Ate at 10.45pm. And hea till.....err. who knows. I really enjoy more doing these stuff. Time-off HKUST.

No comments:

Post a Comment